Today during a phone conversation with my husband, he said the most accurate word I've heard for "IT" yet. I don't even remember how we got on the subject, but he said, "It's like we had an amputation." That's it. That's really it. That's exactly what it's like--we are amputees. And rather than losing an arm, a leg, a hand, a foot--what we've lost is a piece of our soul. You see, our children are a part of us. They come from us, they are part of our very heart and soul. And when we lose them, we lose a part of ourselves. That's why we still suffer a year, two years, many years later--that part of us is still missing. That's why we're still sometimes sad, still sometimes angry.
Yes I know, I know someone will say it. Time heals. But it doesn't. Someone else will say, "GOD can heal." Yes, He can. I believe this with my whole being. But not in the way that you may think. I believe He can, but I also believe that in this life, He does not. At least not completely. We were made with two arms. If one is removed by accident or surgery, the wound can heal. But a new arm doesn't grow where the old one was. The person can heal to some extent, can live a productive life, but that arm will always be missing. It will never be as it was before. In the same way, when one loses a child, that person can go on living, can lead a productive life, but that child will always be missing. They will never be as they were before. We are made this way, programed to miss what's missing.
So the goal for us, much the same as for amputees, must be to find a way. To learn to live with our loss, rather than having the goal of recovering from it. We must find ways to adapt, to change what we must, to go on with living, to go about our daily lives. Because the piece that we're missing, part of our heart and our soul, won't grow back, just like an arm or a leg won't grow back. The world goes on, others' lives move on, but the piece that was carved from our souls the day our children died is gone for the remainder of this life. This is a painstakingly slow and difficult process. So if it seems like we should be "moving on," "getting over it," or "doing better," remember that we are amputees...

...We're missing pieces of our souls...
Thank you for helping us understand what you live through daily. Still praying for you daily and your family.. Miss you and Love you!
ReplyDeleteClark
This is absolutely the most poignant article I've ever read. Well done. Brought me to tears. Hugs and love to you and your sweet family as you move forward in *adaptng*.
ReplyDelete~Christine
This makes so much sense. Thank you, Dawn, for being willing to be real, and for expressing it so beautifully. My prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteA piece of our soul, connected directly to our hearts goes with our child. Those who have no experience of losing a child struggle to understand, those who have lost a child get it without words
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching blog entry! Having never lost a child it gave me a glimpse into how it must feel. What an incredible way of explaining it. I passed this on to a friend of mine who lost twin girls and I believe it was touching to her as well. I'm a friend of Kevin's from the "good old days" at Alaska Baptist Church. Hugs go out to your family!
ReplyDeleteHOW BEAUTIFUL,YES I DO THINK LOSING A CHILD IS LIKE LOSING A LIMBTHERE IS ALWAYS A PART OF ME MISSING SINCE I LOST JAMIE,MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteWow...that was so beautifully written and I get it. I've not lost a child but I understand now how you feel - how you might always feel. My heart goes out to all of you that have. Thank you for sharing that.
ReplyDeleteThank you for leaving your blog address on mine! This entry is beautiful and I might have to talk about it..if that is ok. I wish the piece we are missing was as visible to others as a missing arm would be. I sometimes just want to yell at perfect strangers.. "I lost my son...he died". Weird I know. But I sometimes just want people to know why I stop in the middle of a sentence and start to cry or I forget what we were talking about or why I really just do not want to talk to anyone that day. Thank you for reminding me...I am not alone. many hugs and much love to you
ReplyDeleteThank-you so much for this posting. I too have talked about the lack of a word for the condition that brings us into the "Sorority" of greiving mothers. It has been 14 months since my sweet girl died and I have found myself worried that others are 'waiting'. Waiting for me to ... (fill in the blank). In response to the "It will get easier" comments - I respond "It may get different but losing my child will not become easier or better". As the previous commentor mentioned I too may reference your posting as your Amputee description is so apropo.
ReplyDeleteAgain many thanks and wishes to you for peace along this journey.
I ran across a link to this blog on compassionate friends and just wanted you to know how much it has blessed me. My daughter passed in a car accident June 07. She was 20 and left me a beautiful little boy to take care of who just turned 4. I'm a little behind the grieving curve I think because I went on auto pilot to care for my gs. These past few weeks I have been struggling with the why's and what ida and being upset with God. Reading some of your posts have helped me see the bigger picture that it's not about the here and now. I've always known that but it gets a little blured through the tears sometimes. So thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo perfectly written. We just lost our son in a car accident 6/10/10 and all of the above statements are so true. A piece of me died that day a large part of my heart has been torn away. It will never be alright , I don't care how many years go buy it will never get easier,my baby is forever gone there is no fixing it. It has been 10 months but feels like it happenend yesterday yet it feels like forever since I saw that wonderful face. This is a never ending pain that I would not wish on my worst enemy.Thank you for putting into words that feeling...you are right we are Amputees.
ReplyDelete