But instead of simply quoting a bunch of alarming, appalling statistics I want to focus on a key word for this month.....AWARENESS. What does it truly mean to be aware? I think it means more than to just know something, more than simple acknowledgement. If we are really aware of something, it should be deeper than surface level. True awareness should evoke a response. It should change something in us--our outlook, our prayer life, some portion of our behavior. Awareness forces us to make a choice with our knowledge. After all, if we are aware that some 12,500 children are diagnosed with some form of cancer every year and that one in five of them will not survive, what do we do with that? How can we not respond to the fact that every single day there are seven children fighting cancer who will be dead by the end of that day? Personally, I can't imagine how we could not be changed in some way, shape or form by this information. But before Braeden got sick I had no clue this was anyone's reality, let alone that someday it would be mine. So now I will do my best always to make others aware and give them ways to act on awareness. Want ideas? Visit www.teamunite.net for some great suggestions. Talk to people, spread the word, wear gold ribbons or awareness shirts or wristbands. It's not difficult and doesn't require a lot of time or money, just willingness. You are aware....how will you respond?

The face of childhood cancer.....can you look away? This is why we fight, why we MUST win. For our kids.
So beautiful, and so true. I know I will do what I can to help raise awareness. Thinking of Braeden today and everyday.
ReplyDeleteThis is so true! In many ways, we have become a "don't just do something, sit there" country. We need to get up off our butts and make a difference. "What can I do though? I'm only one person." We can pray. Our feeble efforts alone can't match the power of prayer alone. We can't use prayer as a cop out though and think that we've done our part; saying, "now it's up to God." Scripture always calls us to not only pray, but to GO. Like you said, hon. It doesn't take much to help make a difference. Maybe a little money. Maybe a little time. But in the end, it could mean the difference between life and death for another child.
ReplyDeleteI'm proud of you honey! Great job!
I'm proud of BOTH of you!
ReplyDeleteDown!
ReplyDeleteI just got a chance to read your blog...I'm in tears and challenged in the same time by your AWARENESS CALL. Thanks for posting in our blog and giving us the opportunity to check-out yours.
Just like you said it is unbelievable to read facts of "children in suffering pain" from different deassises untill your child is the "chosen' one. So I will make sure to make my contribution to the "AWARENESS".May God bless all the people that are AWARE and bless EVEN more the ones that are not AWARE for they dont know HIS work.
Dajana Harrison
(peterdajana.blogspot.com)
DAWN...sorry I misspelled your name.
ReplyDeleteDajana.