Now, here we are on April 17...tomorrow is one year from the day of Braeden's death. Today is the last day I will ever be able to say, "Last year at this time, we..." Because after today, Breaden won't have existed in "last year at this time" except in our hearts and minds. That feeling I can only describe as crushing. It's a pain I can't even begin to find words for. So here it is--our last "last year at this time..."
Friday, April 17, 2009--Breaden had stopped wanting to get out of his bed the day before. He was throwing up anything he tried to eat or drink, so our hospice nurses had suggested giving him sips of water or juice or whatever off of a spoon so he wouldn't drink too quickly. Friday morning he woke but said again that he wanted to stay in bed, asked for Curious George to be put on, and then told me he needed an orange and a blue flavor ice from the freezer. I got them and he only took a small bite before going back to sleep. He drifted in and out that morning but woke up enough to have a very clear argument with me that he could indeed have a sippy cup and no, he would not throw up. I think I will always treasure that argument. Ruth-Anne our nurse came later that morning and confirmed what we already knew, not much longer. The kids had stayed home from school that day. We frequently went in to kiss Braeden's head, tell him we loved him, talk with him, sit with him, cuddle him. That evening the kids, Kevin and I gathered in the bedroom so the kids could watch a new SpongeBob special (SpongeBob vs the Big One) with Braeden. He wasn't very awake, but I'm sure he knew they were there. They sat in our room watching cartoons until bedtime. They told Braeden good night and went to bed. At 2:27 the next morning, Braeden went quietly into the waiting arms of Jesus.That was the final last. And today it seems very surreal. Like it really can't be that long ago (can it?). Now it will all be more than one year ago.
I wanted more. I wanted more of his life, more arguments, more tantrums, the works. I wanted it all. Tomorrow will be one year. It's not a magic line in the sand that we'll cross and things will be all better. But I can't stop it. Tomorrow will be April 18th no matter what. Tomorrow I will wake up, go to church, and praise God for what I did get: three years, eleven months, one day, two hours and twenty-seven minutes of all "that stuff."
I'll always be thankful for that time, thankful that I was chosen to be Bub's mom. Just like I'll always want more, and always wish each "last" wasn't the last...
I am crying right now after reading this. I have been thinking of Braeden so much the last few days, knowing this one year mark was coming. You are in my thoughts and prayers often. Braeden touched so many, even those like me who never had a chance to meet him. He will be in all of our hearts forever and he lives on through you and your family. Thanks for sharing his life with us. (((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteYou might lose all "the lasts"....but you'll never lose all the "hads". Wishing your broken heart may find a bit of peace.
ReplyDelete